[Harp-L] re: was amateur vs pro--now competence

Here's some things I had to learn the hard way as far as basic competency
and live harp playing.

By competency I mean: knowing when to play, playing in key, and getting a
good tone. I'm not talking about playing at a level like Robert Bonfiglio or
Steve Baker.

Playing harp live is a job. As a kid I had a hard time with that concept.
You wouldn't show up to work drunk. Why go to a gig stoned? Besides, jumping
up and down with a belly full of beer is a recipe for disaster.

I had a hard time knowing when to play. Anyone with classical or jazz wind
instrument training knows when to come in, when to lay out--but most harp
players don't get that level of training for their instrument. It's not
available many places. Luckily the band sat me down and told me to shut up
and stop playing all the time. Great lesson. It took me a long time to get
comfortable with just dancing on stage until it was time for me to take a
solo. I felt I was slacking off. I was getting paid the same as the rest of
the band, I should be working as hard. I realized that my job was to be the
the guy in the band that winds up the audience. I like doing it and I can do
it well. But I felt I needed to contribute more. I resolved the problem by
learning keyboard, by singing some songs, and by writing all the band's
original stuff.

I have a terrible memory and was always asking the band what key we're
playing in. I got a note book, wrote the lyrics and key of every song. Now
before we start we have a set list and I review the material. I also work on
playing the melody of the song. I might throw in flourishes and all sorts of
other stuff, but somewhere in there, there should be a melody. There's lots
of different positions, but if you're going to play in 2nd position
primarily you should know the blues scale and the mixolodyian/major
pentatonic scale.

Tone: It took me a long time to realize that I was not going to play harder
even if I couldn't hear myself in the mix. I also realized I was playing
acoustic blues in a rock band. Sonny Terry is a great harp player, but his
style of playing doesn't fit an electric bar band. So I practice electric
now.  By the way,  tight cup really helps for a rock tone. I also practice
tongue blocking. It helps me play less. Octaves also cut through the mix.
Tongue blocking almost forces me to play more rhythmically which is
important in a rock band. I'm not knocking anyone's embouchure.  Do what
works. I still whoop. Can't help it. It's too much fun.

Always smile. Always be polite. Don't even think about drinking every shot
of Jack Daniels the audience buys you. Dress appropriately. Jeans and a tee
shirt is okay some places. It's the same as any job. You have to look around
and figure out the dress code. Most professional bands, everyone but the
front man wears black dress pants, a black button up shirt, and decent
shoes.

If I could go back in time and change anything, I would have actually
practiced during those years of piano lessons, and I would have taken some
voice lessons.

--
Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com