[Harp-L] Brendan Power "Lament for the 21st Century" short review

Hi all,

This is a very brief review of Brendan Power's "Lament for the 21st Century".  I plan to do a longer review soon.  In the meantime, here's the bottom line: this CD is a masterpiece by a master musician at the height of his powers, and every harmonica player ought to hear it.

A number of the pieces on this CD are solo, and Power's virtuosity--even when he's playing slow and simple--is evident everywhere.  The original compositions are outstanding, as are the various covers (including some very striking performances of traditional Irish material).  About half the pieces are accompanied by one or another combination of piano, hand drums, saxophone, and flute, and these are equally brilliant.  (I never knew flute and harmonica sounded so good together.)

The pieces range in orientation from very modern-sounding (unusual harmonies and rhythms, big reverbs and delays) to very traditional.  Every piece on the CD was recorded live, without overdubs, which is exactly the way I like acoustic music done.  I am in awe of Brendan's stamina--some of these pieces go on for a while, and the breathing is not easy.  There are no effects (so far as I can tell) other than reverb and delay, which are very prominent on some of the pieces, and add a lot to the emotional impact.  Recording quality is terrific, with the harmonica close-mic'ed--lots of clarity and power in the tone.

Brendan records prolifically, and he had a good year in 2008, with releases of swing music on his own and with PT Gazell, and this release.  Lucky for us, huh?  I am absolutely certain that there isn't another CD in my collection that sounds like this one.  It's rare and beautiful.  Buy it.

Brendan's website: http://brendan-power.com

regards, Richard Hunter