RE: [Harp-L] Standing around feeling stupid

>>>I found a solution for standing around on stage with no harp-part to play:   Play percussion!<<<

If you have any input into the set list, I always find it useful to group the "harp songs" at the beginning or end of each set. This works quite well. You are on stage for the harp parts and off stage for the others.

I should mention that when using this strategy in the past, I took a lesser cut of the pay than the rest of the band because I felt that playing 1/2 or 1/3 the time and getting the same cash flow wasn't fair to the guys that were kickin' it out for the duration. My choice. Plus, if you're dealing with a band which may be reluctant to take on a harp player, this is a good way to open the door to the idea. I'm not playing for free, I'm just getting paid proportionately.

The cool thing about grouping the songs this way is that it almost makes you an "attraction". Sort of like: "We're gonna bring up our harp player up now."

John Balding
Tallahassee, FL