[Harp-L] Standing around feeling stupid, average or pro

I can fit harp to all sorts of tunes that don't have harp on the original, but there are some tunes that don't require harp and just won't sound good with harp. Harmonica, like (for example) sax, doesn't necessarily fit with all material. And even playing on certain material where harp does fit, I will sometimes lay out more than i play, depending on the particular tune, because it's important to let the music breath. But on some tunes it's more important not to play at all.

I played News Years Eve with a blues band that i sound good playing with and which, quite frankly, sounds good playing with me. Anyway, for reasons i have never understood, the singer likes to do the 60's R&B ballad, "My Girl"' at some point during each show. I'm not a regular member of them band but I've played with them often enough to know what they do. What do i do when the band plays "My Girl"? I leave the stage -- go sit down, get a drink, talk to friends, admire the singers' red sequin jacket, or whatever. Then i go back up for the next tune, which is the professional thing to do. Don't force feed the music.

JP