RE: [Harp-L] roadhouse blues and other rock standards

I know it isn't a rock standard, but "When the Levee Breaks" is an awesome harp song.  Harp can work well into the Jett song, "Are You Going to Be My Girl".  I always try to think of current stuff people would know that harp can be added too.  However, much of what's on the radio is anti-solo to begin with.

I went through about a year trying to find a classic-rockish band to play harp in.  I hated when I was told that there would be room for harp in only songs that had harp on the original.  For example, "Train, Train".  Think outside of the box people!

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Albanese"
<reedwrecker@...> wrote:

This is a great subject, although I might not have thought so a few years
ago. New tricks for old dogs is my new motto these days.

I'm playing in a band here in Chicago that's really the first "non blues
band" I've ever been in. These are guys 15 years my junior and former
members of the BoDeans and Freddy Jones Band. Such a blast to play with
them. Besides doing a some of their original tunes, we also cover:

Peace - Los Lobos
Don't Worry Baby - Los Lobos
Rock and Roll - Led Zep
Buckets Of Rain - Dylan
Senor Blues - Horace Silver
Feels Like Rain - John Hiatt
Clap Hands - Tom Waits
Sitting In Limbo - Jimmy Cliff
Brother John - Wild Tchoupitoulas
Genie In The Jug - Arthur Alexander
Can't Find My Way Home (seems to be a popular choice)

...and a bunch of others. Some of them are close to the originals and
others
are total rearrangements. It's intriguing finding harp parts to songs that
never had harp on them in the first place. New tricks for old dogs.

BTW, if you want to hear some fanatastic 4th position rock harmonica check
out Freddy Jones Band's song "Rain" with Howard Levy on harp. Not too
intimidating!

tom albanese

www.myspace.com/bigrealdeal

<http://www.myspace.com/bigrealdeal>