[Harp-L] 545 Ultimate

If anyone is interested, I just got an Utimate Shure 545 from Greg Heumann at Blows Me Away Productions and I couldn’t be more pleased.

This mic is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Not that one buys a mic for its looks, but this is really gorgeous. The anodizing is a deep rich dark maroon-red, which I think looks much better than the fire engine red in the photos on Greg’s website. Those pictures don’t do this mic justice. The workmanship is truly elegant.

The chopped design is great. It’s small, very light, and comfortable in the hands while cupping. Much easier to handle, but sounds just like a full size 545. All of the benefits of a 545 and none of the disadvantages. The shorter length and lighter weight makes cupping the grill capsule with nothing to hold on to very easy to do. Easier to handle and easier to carry around than the original. And it looks so cool. Very elegant, although probably not as useful as a weapon as the heavy original would be. Makes it so much easier to play a 545 all night long or to carry one around as a second (or third) mic without weighing down the gig bag, which especially appeals to me since I don’t use a 545 as my primary mic, although I do prefer it for certain applications.

I really like this mic. My primary mic is an EV RE 15, which gives a thick, dark tone. I also carry an Audix Fireball (which is super clean) to use when a less "electric" sound is required. The 545 Ultimate is midway between them: brighter, tighter, with less depth and more edge than the EV, but funkier and more textured than the Fireball. I love my EV, but if a law was passed requiring me to carry one and only one mic for all situations, it might well be the 545 Ultimate. The ergonomics of the chopped design are outstanding. Unlike the heavy full size 545, (perhaps best known as the Butterfield mic) the Ultimate sits comfortably in the hand, makes cupping and other mic handling techniques easy and it's very light and fun to play. The ergonomics of this chopped design are outstanding. AND, it sounds just like a 545 (which, after all is what it is).

Worth the money? I certainly think so. 545's sound terrific, but they're not the easiest or most comfortable mic to handle because of the grill design (nothing to grab on to ) and weight. I've got a stock 545 that I had modified by Greg a while ago. It sounds great, but it's too heavy to carry around unless i was specifically planning to use it for a particular performance. I’d definitely get a 545 Ultimate before I’d ever buy a stock 545 again.…not a close question. It’s so much more comfortable to use and easy to carry around, and, as a bonus, it looks so cool. Nice product.

JP