Re: [Harp-L] Want THE lesson on being a Pro???

Derek's dad has never played in a band.  Derek was a child phenom.  He was playing full-time before his teens.  His uncle, Butch, plays drums for the ABB.  Derek was sitting in with them as early as the 90's.  It was almost ten years later he was asked to join the band.  That was after he already had his own career.

There's no doubt that having Butch as an uncle didn't hurt.  However, he will easily go down as THE guitar player of my generation.  No doubt there.  Clapton and Santana didn't get his number from his uncle.  As for the friends he has playing on the new CD, they were there because they wanted to play with him, not because it would make them more famous or make them a ton of money.

Go on any guitar related forum and you will see tons of bashing whether it be John Mayer, Clapton, Santana, Robben Ford, Joe Bonamassa, etc.  Nobody ever disses Derek Trucks.  He's the 1% that can't be touched.  While it is possible that one can work hard without success, IMO, if you really do give it all you got AND have the talent, you can find a happy place to be.

I don't care what kind of stage presence you have...my CD player doesn't have a video screen.  ;)

(Harp Content)  DT has been quoted saying he goes after the sound of a harmonica player.  He mentions LW and the Wolf by name.  A lot of his phrasing, especially the ABB stuff lays out great on harmonica.

 Mike Fugazzi
Vocals/Harmonica
"The Mike Fugazzi Band"
http://www.myspace.com/mikefugazzi
http://www.youtube.com/user/mikefugazzi
http://www.synikalproductions.com/MFB/EPK.pdf

"Music should be healing; music should uplift the soul; music should inspire. There is no better way of getting closer to God, of rising higher towards the spirit, of attaining spiritual perfection than music, if only it is rightly understood."
-Hazrat Inayat Khan