From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of John F. Potts
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:13 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Standing around feeling stupid, average or pro

  I can fit harp to all sorts of tunes that don't have harp on the original,
but there are some tunes that don't require harp and just won't sound good
with harp. Harmonica, like (for example) sax, doesn't necessarily fit with
all material.  And even playing on certain material where harp does fit, I
will sometimes lay out more than i play, depending on the particular tune,
because it's important to let the music breath. But on some tunes it's more
important not to play at all.

I played News Years Eve with a blues band that i sound good playing
with and which, quite frankly,  sounds good playing with me. Anyway,
for reasons i have never understood, the singer likes to do the 60's R&B
ballad, "My Girl"' at some point during each show.  I'm not a regular member
of them band but I've played with them often enough to know what they do.
What do i do when the band plays "My Girl"?  I leave the stage -- go sit
down, get a drink, talk to friends, admire the singers' red sequin jacket,
or whatever.  Then i go back up for the next tune, which is the professional
thing to do.  Don't force feed the music.

JP