Re: [Harp-L] 5th position

Fifth position is fairly easy to play the natural minor scale,
although  4th position is even better.  3rd position lays out the
dorian scale easily.  The difference in scales is one note.
The C dorian:
C D Eb F G A Bb C

The C Natural Minor scale:
C D Eb F G Ab Bb C

In dorian, the 6th note is the same as it is in the major scale.  In
Natural the 6th note is one half step lower than the 6th note in the
major scale.  Each scale has a particular flavor that you can explore
to begin to hear.

All minor songs have a minor root chord (the root chord is the chord
that has the same name as the key you are in).

If the song has other chords, say a IV chord (F in the key of C) or a
V chord (G in the key of C)  then choosing between these two scales
can depend on whether or not the IV chord is major or minor.  In the F
major chord, the notes are F A C.  You would likely choosing the C
dorian scale because both the chord and the scale have an A.  In the F
minor chord, the notes are F Ab C. You would likely choose the C
natural scale because both the chord and the scale have an Ab.

Most of the time the rhythm players will not tell you the chords they
play, you have to use your ear.  Play an A and an Ab and see which
sounds better to you, then choose the appropriate scale.

Also know that we have been programmed to enjoy music that we have
heard before.  Many musicians have played popular music that does not
follow the rules I just gave concerning the connection between chords
and scales, therefore many musicians have played scales that would
seem contrary to the chords being played, but we have accclimated our
ears to enjoying what might have previously seemed dissonant.
Therefore, in general, for minor, flat the 3rd and you will be okay.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com