[Harp-L] Modes and 12th position

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Marks [mailto:larry.marks@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 2:29 AM
To: Clayton Gary Lehmann
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: 4th position

Clayton Gary Lehmann wrote:
> 12th is pretty cool, if you can manage the requisite overblow on hole
> 6--some of the draw bends on the bottom are tough, but it's great for
Ionian
> and Mixolydian.
That would be F on a C harp with a 7DB (can't do OBs on a valved harp)?
Neat! I'll try it. I have heard of others playing in 12th - I think
Carlos del Junco has a couple of tunes he does there.

Not entirely sure what your reference to the modes means. Ionian of F is
an F major scale and Mixolydian mode of F is a C major scale with a flat
7, if I have that right. You must mean something else...

  -LM
What I intended to say was that a C harmonica would be useful in the key of
F playing a tune that was Ionian or Mixolydian--in other words, major scale
based or blues (or rock) based.
I like being able to play accidentals, and 12th lets you get to a bunch of
them.
I don't use 12th at gigs or anything, but I know there are those who rely
upon it for modern playing--I use custom tunings instead, and hope to be in
a situation where I can play chromatic (I play guitar, so usually have to
have my hands on it).
I use valves on some holes of some diatonics, but I sure like unvalved
bends--they feel better to me.
Gary