[Harp-L] sm57 and 545

Joe,

The SM 57 has a clean sound with decent bottom end. Cleaner and less “textured" than a 545 . It’s been a while since I’ve played through a 57, but I think it might have a slightly deeper tone than the 545. The 57 is good mic, but, personally, I like the 545 better for harp. To my ear, the sound of 545 has more authority and more character.

A stock SM 57 is not as heavy as a stock 545. Both have a grill design that’s a little inconvenient to grip with a tight cup because there’s essentially nothing to hold on to. Blows me Away Productions makes a nice “chopped” version of each mic that is shorter and lighter which makes them easier to handle. More ergonomic for harp and they can be made with or without an integral volume control. i think the 545 may be more responsive to mic cupping techniques, but i don't really remember because it's been a while since i played through a 57

Hope this is of some help.

JP