[Harp-L] RE: Fiddle Tunes on Harmonica - Articles by Tony Eyers

Robert Coble worte
"I'd like to point out that virtually any tuning can be obtained from the Seydel
folks, including your "Major Cross" tuning. There is a small additional feeover
the regular price, but (IMHO) it is well worth it to get the tuning youwant with
a factory setup of the harp. It certainly takes a lot less of MY time!
I'm curious as to why you prefer "Major Cross" tuning vice Circular Tuning."

The Seydel service sounds very useful. I can tune up my own, but it takes time, and I tend to put it off. Of course, I never touch my custom instruments.

As for why I use Major Cross instead of Circular Tuning: I'd never actually heard of Circular Tuning when I developed Major Cross, about 10 years ago. To me the Major Cross tuning is essentially 2nd position, which is hard wired into my system. Major Cross is just an extension of the Melody Maker tuning.

For those interested in alternate tunings, the various names and who developed what is kind of beside the point. The important thing is to choose a tuning which makes it easier to play the music you want to (in my case fiddle tunes), then put in the work to learn it. For (aspiring) fiddle tune players, Paddy Richter tuning is worth trying if you're a first position player, Major Cross or Melody Maker worth a go if you mostly play 2nd position. More about this is at http://www.harmonicatunes.com/retuned

Richard Hunter has done a lot of work with alternate tunings, Brendan Power and myself likewise. And of course Charlie McCoy is famous for his use of country tuning (or more precisely, for the music he has created with it). James Conway also uses some alternate tunings, and Steve Shaw uses Paddy Richter for playing traditional tunes. Off the top of my head I can't think of other players known for using alternate tunings.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays