[Harp-L] Steve Baker Play-Alongs

I just finished downloading to my ipod and taking a close listen to my
recently-acquired Steve Baker Play-Alongs (Vol 1), in order to have some
tracks to practice with during an upcoming trip.  Let me tell you folks,
this is an awesome CD.

First, it stands on its own as an excellent piece of music.  Steve's playing
on the 11 tracks (with harp) is outstanding.  I think anybody who heard him
play at SPAH this year would agree that this dude is one awesome player
(particularly for those like me who hadn't heard much of his work
previously).  On these play-along tracks, he really lets in rip in a bunch
of styles and positions with a very tight back-up band.  A completely
enjoyable and exciting product just for the 11 instrumentals featuring
Steve's harp playing.

But, in addition, you get the same 11 tracks without harp to use as backing
tracks for your practice.  Very high quality tracks in a variety of styles
and keys.  The accompanying book has Steve's notes on how he played the song
with the first chorus notated, a discussion of his approach to succeeding
choruses, and some practice drills to help with certain aspects of that
style.  Steve's playing on these songs is not only quite excellent, but also
very tutorial in nature.  They usually start with a relatively simple first
chorus to copy (notated), then proceed to more advanced solos (not notated)
using different registers and techniques.  This is a real goldmine of
soloing mastery to study.

I purchased Volume I from David Barrett's harmonicamasterclass web site.
Thanks, David, for offering this material on your site!  Like all the other
educational material there, this is just first-rate!!  Volumes 2 and 3 were
out of stock when I ordered at Christmas, but that gives me something to
look forward to.  Based on Volume I, I will definitely have the other
volumes on my wish list.

There is a ton of great educational and practice material for harp players
out there these days.  Sometimes it is hard to find the really good stuff.
For those of you looking for some backing tracks to practice with along with
great playing to study, you certainly could do worse than the Steve Baker
Play-Alongs.

No affiliation with Baker, Barrett, the publisher, etc, yada-yada - just a
fan.

Fred S