RE: [Harp-L] Irish Harp Music on CD

> Steve Shaw from Cornwall in Britain has a nice CD at a bargain price and a
> good website. I think he plays mostly blues harp. The "real traditional"
> guys are inclined to play tremolo, which like yourself I am not crazy
> about.
> There is a guy called Paul Moran in Galway here who plays blues harp and has
> produced a CD with a fiddler that I cannot quite remember the name of now.
> Rick Epping is an American based in Ireland who plays blues harp - and how!
> (including the XB40 which he designed)
> He has produced a CD called Jigging the Blues with fiddler Frankie Gavin.
> Check Rick out on YouTube where you can see him play in a rack and accompany
> himself on concertina. Rick will be running three harmonica workshops in
> Ballyferriter Co. Kerry in about three weeks time. You still have time to
> book your flights!
> If you are interested I can try to get you more specific info. If you are
> after Irish tunes you may do better to listen to a few concertina players
> like Chris Droney and the late Kitty Hayes. Some box players are good for
> inspiration too.
> Good luck with your search.
> Beannachtaí
> Aongus Mac Cana

Thanks Aongus.  Unfortunately, my website is still nobbled, as we say this end.  Once I get a few spare hours on a rainy day I'll fix it, Deo volente. All the tracks on my CD were played on either a SP20 low D or a Lee Oskar G, both Paddified, with one exception on which I used an Echo double-sided tremolo in D/A.  I second your other recommendations.  One album that particularly inspired me to play Irish tunes was "Music from Sliabh Luachra Vol 6" by the box-player Jackie Daly.  The whole album is just him playing solo, either on C#/D accordeon or on concertina, and it has plenty of juicy polkas and slides that sit so well on diatonic harp.  But just listen to lots of traditional Irish on whatever instruments to get it under your skin good and proper!

Steve

Hotmail, Messenger, Photos  and more - all with the new Windows Live. Get started!
http://www.download.live.com/