RE: [Harp-L] dueling banjo and harp

I recently played a rendition of Dueling Banjos at an open mic with a fellow musician. He was the banjo on guitar and I was the guitar on harp (hmmm, that sounds schizophrenic). It works well in second position, with the only caveat that an overblow is needed on hole 5 for when the melody runs up and down the scales. Quit fun, and ever popular. We were fairly faithful to the original--that is, the arrangement Eric Weissberg did for Deliverance. Just be sure you properly acknowledge the composer (Arthur Smith) lest he sues you like he did the filmmakers who neglected to give him song writing credit or royalties. They paid up in the end, after losing the landmark copyright infringement suit.

Ansel

----- Original Message ----- From: "harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx> To: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: 01/27/2009 10:17:37 AM -0500 Subject: Harp-L Digest, Vol 65, Issue 101

Hi, all. Anyone ever play the traditional "Dueling Banjos" thing (like Deliverance-style), but play it banjo vs. harp? If so, how does it sound? Does the harp basically just play the guitar parts, fairly note-for-note where possible?
Thanks, Mike