Re: [Harp-L] Ghost Notes and Equal Temperament

On Jan 27, 2009, at 7:09 AM, Richard Hammersley wrote:

What sounds 'good' in music is not always what sounds completely in tune.

This has nothing to do with whether difference tones on an instrument in 12TET have a degree of dissonance or not. As I said, whether one objects to the beats in difference tones generated by an instrument in 12TET is basically the same question as whether one objects to 12TET in the first place.

"In tune", is a fluid concept. I have strenuously avoided using it in this discussion, because the intervals in 12TET are perfectly in tune but are by design not beatless. In the above I read "in tune" as describing beatless intervals. I certainly believe that dissonance is a very, very useful musical tool.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'