[Harp-L] re: Original Hohner Pro Harp/painted covers

John Potts writes:

"When I used to play these harmonicas, some players would make fun of me for buying Pro Harps since they cost more than the Special 20s. These players thought the only difference was the color of the covers. They would laugh at me when I insisted that the Pro Harps had a darker tone. But I felt sure about this, whether anyone agreed with me or not. Naturally, I was delighted when JR told us that Pat Missin actually proved this to be correct."

Please re-read what Pat wrote. He specifically said that this was not the case--that changing covers made no "huge difference[s]". There is a fair amount of understatement in that wording at that. What he wrote about the color of the covers was not agreeing with this point, but rather using an extreme example (the blue Fuego Azure sounding more "bluesy") to show the fallacy in this line of thought (darker color=darker tone, shinier=brighter tone).

For he record I do not believe that minor changes in cover shape or material will make a difference to the tone of the instrument, and certainly not the coating of said materials.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'