[Harp-L] Original Hohner Pro Harp/painted covers

JR writes: “The side vents on the Marine Band may influence the tone, or at least my perception of it by redirecting the sound. Aside from that, no significant tonal differences when I play different diatonics-- certainly none I would expect a listener could detect.”

I always thought the LOs sound a little brighter and sharper than the others, even to a casual listener.

JR writes: “The side-vents do make a difference, but block those and my answer would be yes. And even with the side-vents, I don't think there is a great difference outside of their usage in playing. Manipulate the vents with hand movement and you are no longer really talking about the innate tone of the instrument but how you can shape the sound.”

IMHO, the tone of harps with side vents is a little more diffuse than those with unvented covers. This is consistent with the recognition that the tone does change somewhat when the vents are blocked.

JR writes:
“To sum up, I would say that yes, different models, brands and designs of harmonicas have different timbres, but this variation resides within a very small set, and is usually overwhelmed (certainly within similar designs, ie all Richter diatonics, all slider chromatics) by what the player does to shape the tone when they play.”

One of the things some of us do when we play is to hold the harmonica in very close proximity to a microphone element surrounded by a tight or loose cup formed by our hands. Among other things, this can and will magnify (amplify?) those very small differences in timbre and make them, perhaps, not quite so small.

IMHO, it’s the little things that cause experienced players to prefer one model over another. The beginner prefers that harmonica which most easily enables him to play that which he CAN play. But those players who can make the instrument do what they want it to do will play better on harmonicas that have those little different characteristics which, for one reason or another, that particular player finds appealing.

Also, some models are more airtight than others, and it’s hard to deny that better compression always makes a difference in how good a player can make the instrument sound.

And, even roses come in different colors.

JP