To: "harp-l harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 17:14
Subject: [Harp-L] Was today's lesson, now Junior and Buddy

I was fortunate to have seen Jr. Wells and Buddy Guy a bunch of times,
together and separately here in Chicago from the early 70's through JWs
passing in (I think) 1998. And of course in Buddy's case, to the present
day. In all my time as an avid blues fan I've never seen anyone who could
run as hot or cold from show to show as either of these two. Some nights
they smoldered and smoked and blew the house away; other nights they were
obviously just phoning it in. At their best they were astonishing, other
times a big disappointment. Most times the crowd went wild either way. On
tour in Europe, when Martin saw them it may well have been one of those and
road-weary and dog-tired phone-in shows, n'est-ce-pas?

tom albanese

PS How they dressed never seemed to matter much. Hell, Buddy can still bring
the house down in bib overalls.