[Harp-L] Martins' Critique

"Some of the blues players that hit the European scene in the 60´s and 70´s appeared thoroughly pleased that they could come this far and still be appreciated by people who knew about their music, and hence gave their best in the concerts (Johnny Shines stands out as a fine example, but there were several). Some were of the slightly super-annuated kind and a bit the worse for wear, but you could excuse them.
Wells & Guy put on the airs as some sort of divas and devoted considerably more of their interest to the Swedish girls in the audience than doing what they were supposed to.
I felt this very strongly at the time, due to a high regard for the music, and just had to live w/ the fact that this jerk strutting around on an ego-trip was the same guy who had played on "Standing ´round and crying".
Two chances he got, but never again. C´est tout."

Martin

That is Martin's Quote!
I would not take what he says with a grain of salt. Having played at  many jams in Stockholm at the Stampen in the late 90's as well as other many venues throughout Europe I can tell you  the Swedes know what they are talking about.  I would venture to say that a  small city such as Stockholm has more Blues Bands than any other major city in the USA including Chicago ,LA and NYC.

I would easily put up any Blues European up against any Blues American so far as history, general knowledge and playing the blues is concerned.
It was my experience that these folks are almost religious about the blues, they live it, love it ,play it and study it. If Martin was critical about Jr. Wells or any other performer  I'm sure he's most qualified to do so. Go ahead pick his brain about blues and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Hey Do!

Paul,
If You Love The Blues
Honk Your Hohner