Re: [Harp-L] Fwd: Original Hohner Pro Harp/painted covers

When LOs first came out , i am positive they were tuned to A444 and either 4 or 6 cents sharp, I am a little uncertain about whether it was 4 or 6 cents sharp, but i very clearly recall the A444 tuning. I don't know what they are tuned to now, but back in the 80s, it was A444 and at least 4 cents sharp. And, yeah, it was not possible to sound acceptable with keyboards on a consistent basis, which is why i stopped using them.

Now that i think about it, the promo material said that the X cents sharp was just above the amount detectible by the human ear and was done for brightness to stand out and cut through. The other day, Iceman said in a post that most people can hear a difference of 3 cents, So, 4 cents was probably what was stated, not 6 cents.

I'm pretty sure Suzuki Hammonds, Promasters and Firebreaths are A442. Harmonicas are typically tuned a little above A440 because the tone flattens a little under breath pressure when playing, even when not specifically bending a note. So, as i understand it, most of us would sound flat performing on a harp tuned to precisely A440. There are others on this list who know more about this than i do.

But the promo material for the original LOs touted A444. i am very confident in my recollection about that.

JP