[Harp-L] re: Chrometta 8

James boutilier writes:

"I read that there is a GIANT difference between a Chrometta "10" and the "8" and "12", that is, the 10 SUCKED, but the 8 has good quality, metal covers, not so leaky..."

Where did you read this? I think Steve Baker could chime in here, but I'm pretty sure the only significant difference between currently made Chrometta models is the size of the instrument. Every Chometta I've seen (8, 10 and 12) all had the same style of metal covers, for instance. And they all leaked like sieves as well.

The problem I see with using the Chrometta is that the one area of a chromatic you most want to improve is the slide mechanism, and since the Chometta's slider channel is integral to it's body there's only so much you can do to improve it.

"And I love that it's small(ish) and Golden Melody Shaped."

It certainly has size and shape in it's favor, but that's probably about it.

"Well, the end goal is to make an Irish/Scottish Playing harp -- single note melody primarily. So, reversed slide, etc...However, they only come in a C, and that seems the most unlikely for this type of music....<snip>
(if you can think of a better but similar price ranged harp to start with, I'm all ears)."

I just checked the prices at Harmonicas and Stuff ( http:// www.harmonicasandstuff.com/hohner-chromatic.html ) and the Chrometta 8 is $59.95. I also checked the Koch Chromatic and it is $89.95. Now, I'd never usually recommend the Koch because as a valveless instrument it can also be described as sieve-like. But, it has two advantages for your purposes. First, it has a traditional slider design which is going to allow you to really improve it by decreasing tolerances and such. Second, it comes in the key of G. I don't play Irish or Scottish music, but a G Paddy Richter tuned slider- instrument would probably be very useful and extremely easy to make from a Koch in G (two retuned notes). It's also still fairly small, so for $30 more upfront you should end up with a lot nicer instrument when you're done.

But, before you make any decisions, buy Douglas Tate's book formerly titled "Make Your Harmonica Play Well". Read it first then decide what harmonica you want to try these techniques out on. You can get it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Harmonica-Work-Better/dp/1574240625/ ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233448765&sr=8-2

Hope this helps.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () `----'