RE: [Harp-L] RE Little Walter's harmony/Let's all talk Little Walter!

This will teach me not to do harmony on my fingers without a guitar present!

-----Original Message-----
From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 01 July 2009 18:13
To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] RE Little Walter's harmony/Let's all talk Little Walter!

I agree that the "rule" of flatting the third against the IV chord is over-rigid. But it is a widely held belief, even in jazz, as Miles Davis mentions in his autobiography.

I don't know why you say the third is an 11th. The 11th is the 4th, an octave higher, While the 3rd an octave higher is a 10th (just add 7). Chords built, and then extended in thrids go up the odd numbers. Here's a chord built on C, with the number in the scale next to the note name:

C1 E3 G5 B7 D9 F11 A13 C again 15

Notes like 9ths and 11th may be raised or lowered to create particular colors of chords, but the quality of the third (i.e., major, minor, tempered in whatever fashion), while equally influential on the color of the chord, is a separate thing.

Harmonica content: Draw 2,3,4,5, and 6 correspond to the 1,3,5,7, and 9 of a dominant 9th chord. (Dominant refers to a chord with a major third and a minor 7th).

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa