RE: [Harp-L] Getting in shape for SPAH (raises hand)

[I originally typed this up as OFFLIST, but reconsidered that it might be appreciated by a broader audience.  It's a thought that's been discussed thoroughly before, but it's one that I think is okay to bring up occasionally.]

Larry,

Nice.  I like how you throw that out there so casually.

"Yes, I'm practicing more.
Oh, and by the way, I have a gig with Charlie Musselwhite."

This is surely what drew me to harp as my instrument of choice (or at least kept me here).  Name one other instrument where those at the top are so accessible, so approachable, and so connected to other harp musicians.  Maybe it happens with other instruments and I'm just not in those inner circles to see it...(possible, since I didn't realize it happened w/ harp until I started really playing).  Or maybe what I see as a benefit is actually the result of what others see as the problem with harp; that it doesn't get the deserved props and as a result, the premier artists haven't developed the insulation from the other artists/fans.

Whatever the reason, I think it's absolutely fascinating.  Me, a relative beginner can send a message to Charlie Musselwhite asking about pictures he took at SPAH 2008 and he actually responds...or a few years ago as a total beginner sending a random and rambling email to Jason Ricci at some weird hour of the morning and getting a response back within a couple of hours...or hanging out with guys at SPAH who are (or at least seem like) normal guys to then see their names on XM radio with their latest single/CD.  (I actually take pictures of the display screen when that happens...which reminds me, I need to send an email to R.J. Mischo to confirm how his name is pronounced before pointing it out to Bill Wax.  (The typos in the artist names and song titles are bad enough on XM, but maybe pronunciation of artist names is something that can be fixed.))

The opposite of this is interesting too...that there are quite a few less-refined...(I would say "less successful", but that has an angle that I don't dare get into in this email as I'm already up against the size limits)...artists who are completely unapproachable, elitist, and seem to be far from normal guys, but that's a whole other topic.

Okay, back to work...

Jonathan "JC" Compton