Re: [Harp-L] Playin' blues in any color

Like some English blues guys who just seem to fall short.  Not all,  some.

In a message dated 7/2/2009 12:09:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
drfertig@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Here's a  subject close to my heart AND close to the edge.

Simply, as someone  (Rob?) said recently, harp is arguably the most
expressive musical instrument  (short of voice, perhaps).  it doesn't lie easily.

Yet,  some blues players (not only harp) seem to try to come across as
other than  who they are.  How many of us have encountered white blues players
who  affect a fake accent and costumes, let alone life stories and personas?
 Even if they play well, it can feel ilke a vaudeville act, or a
"re-enactment."

But those that play straight from the heart need no  bonafides, it's in the
music, whether you like it or not.

-Dave "I  wish I was Sam Clemens, but I ain't him"  Fertig