[Harp-L] Blues transcends race

A musician's ability to play blues with inspiration and feeling is independent of race. Not all caucasian players "sound white." Some do, but that just means they don't know or haven't learned the nuances of the blues idiom. Being white is not an impediment to playing deep blues. I'm a white guy. When the musicians I play with say a certain player "sounds white" it's not a compliment--it means that player can't, or hasn't learned, to play with the feel and nuances one expects when blues or R&B is played as it should be played. Over the years I've played quite often with all black blues bands and still do, but I've never heard a black musician use that phrase to describe a player. From the point of view of the many black blues players I've been around, a musician either can play, or can't play right. Color doesn't have anything to with it.

Not all musicians have the aptitude to play in the style necessary to play blues or R&B and have it sound right. Not all musicians have the aptitude to play classical music properly, either. But it is not because of their race. African Americans invented blues. Europeans invented classical music. But no one has a monopoly on any music. It's a matter of technique and style. Artistic expression doesn't have artificial boundaries.

Everyone gets the blues, but not everyone can play the blues. As a dearly departed authentic blues player/band leader who was originally from the deep U.S. South once told me: Sometimes a person can have the blues and not know it.

And, btw, it simply cannot be said with any credibility that Paul Butterfield's harp playing "sounds white."

JP