Re: [Harp-L] Sorry harp l(a non apology from a serious student)

Nicholas,

Look, no one here on harp-l wants you to leave, were NOT that type but as
others have said you have to be ready to take the heat when others feel a
bit confronted by racial remarks. You are my sons age and I understand you
have energy and strong ambitions and opinions and I'm sorry if I came down a
lil' hard but I felt I needed to confront your remarks. I wish you a long
and healthy and happy career in music if that is your chosen profession.

Why are you so down on White People, when YOU are white, I'm a professional
Musician my whole life and have stood on stage with artists from BB King to
Bruce Springsteen....I'm WHITE, I'm Talented, I'm Original and I'm Proud.

And proud should be ANY race and their accomplishments...but whatever led
you to believe that ONLY blacks have a MONOPOLY on entertainment and talent?

Please don't sell yourself short or get caught up in what I've always called
a 'Blues Nazi' attitude, it will get you no where. When I opened for BB King
at age 19 I apologized to BB when we left the stage as we played one of his
numbers and he said "don't be sorry, you sounded terrific and we ALL love
the blues" I will never forget that and to that day never apologized for be
a white person playing blues.

Saying that Kim Wilson & JR Vaughn don't sound WHITE is NOT a compliment, in
MY BOOK it is a racist comment. I grew up in NJ so I learned my blues off of
records and hittin' live shows when they came to NY.

Now Butterfield may not be your cup of tea and that is OK, listening to
Primich and Wilson and Piazza, man, you are surely in good hand Nicholas!

But, if you get a chance, see if you can find the video of BB KING and
friends where Albert King, SRV and Butterfield play the Elmore James
classic, "The Sky is Crying". I think this may change your opinion about the
late great Paul Butterfield. This was shot only a few weeks before they
found him dead. Listen to the BLUES in VOICE, listen to the PAIN in his
licks and them tell me this is WHITE BOY CRAP and I'll buy you dinner at a
steakhouse of your choice....

Stick around here at harp-l, we ALL have put our foot in our mouths a few
times, but we ALL are the better for it and still have PLENTY to learn.

Take off your coat, tone it down a bit and for God sakes stop listening in
BLACK and WHITE,-) and stop dissing the overblowers, how BORING would the
future of BLUES be if we all just played the same licks and only tried to
emulate old blues guys....where in the heck do you think they got all their
COOL licks from? From BRAEKIN' the RULES!

Love, Peace and the Blues
Rob Paparozzi
Www.myspace.com/hudsonriverrats

On 7/3/09 11:52 PM, "Nicholas Lovett" <lovett.nicholas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry,
>
> I can't resist.  You can chastise me like knights of the keyboard, but I'm
> gonna keep listening to sweet Black sounds on LP's like my favs Bricks in My
> Pillow, Confessin the Blues, Chicago Bound, One Way Out, Tribute to Little
> Walter and yes even What's the Word.  Nothin white about ol Kim!  That's a
> compliment in my book!  Or Jimmie Vaughan.  They used to bill him round Austin
> as Freddy King Jr, that's how much he had Freddie King down.  He used to call
> himself the bad boy, after Eddie Taylor, a style he continues to this day.
> Piazza learned from Big George, a black guy. Or my favorite contemporary
> player Sugar Ray Norcia.  You're gonna tell me he didn't learn anything from
> Big Walter when Ronnie was gigging with him?  Give me a break.  Louis Jordan
> said that nothing in music or entertainment ever came from whites and hes
> right.  Yall can keep overblowing hemmin and hawin, etc but sorry, I'm trying
> to sound black as soon as possible!
>
> That's my apology!  And if anyone wants to swap notes, talk to me off list,
> I'm not drunk enough tonight to take this seriously.

All the best,
Rob Paparozzi

email:
chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rob¹s My Space (check for upcoming Gigs!)
http://www.myspace.com/hudsonriverrats

Rob¹s Session Sites:
http://www.esession.com
http://www.sessionplayers.com