Re: [Harp-L] Paul Butterfield, interesting options...

Gary,

Your intentions are fantastic, but I have and so many others have touted
Butter's innovative and unique style for more years than I care to mention.

I agree totally with your examples, however, IMO, I've found that if someone
doesn't "GET" Butterfield there is nothing you can do to get them to HEAR
what WE hear.

But I have a feeling it's the same thing that makes my EARS "shut down" when
I hear  a newer generation Chicago Blues Harpin' Clone...playin' thru a
Bassman & a Bullet as I yawn and reach for the OFF button.....different
strokes for different folks. Onward & Upward....IMO, Butterfield had a deep
respect for his mentors The Walters, The Juniors, and the Sonny Boy's and
then moved on to explore his own muse as well did the amazing Charlie
Musselwhite. What these two guys did in the 60's & beyond not only carryed
the "Chicago Torch" but opened up Brave new worlds for today's Progressive
Players. Thank You Butter, thank you Charlie as you continue the journey!

All that being said, I enjoyed your thoughtful post...

Love, Peace & the Blues,
Rob Paparozzi

On 7/6/09 12:30 PM, "Gary Calahan" <glcalahan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My first thought is just how much of Butter's stuff have you listened
> to.  In my IMHO,  Better Days haas some masterful expression and tasteful
> licks and vocals.  The first "The Paul Butterfield Blues Band" with an
> awesome line up of players is great stuff and launched the harp along with
> Hot Tuna ( Will Scarlette), Canned Heat (Al).  Go back and listened to
> Better Days and see if you have the same opinion.  If you still do........no
> problem here!  Have you listened to "The Work Song"?
>
> Gary C

All the best,
Rob Paparozzi

email:
chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rob¹s My Space (check for upcoming Gigs!)
http://www.myspace.com/hudsonriverrats

Rob¹s Session Sites:
http://www.esession.com
http://www.sessionplayers.com