Re: [Harp-L] Jazz chromatic books

I've decided that studying jazz is a bit like taking holy orders - poverty (definitely), chastity (possibly but imposed rather than chosen - lol!) and obediance (again definitely).

I've also decided that studying is like climbing a mythical holy mountain.

I started to climb the jazz mountain, I thought i could see the top but when I got there it was a rocky outcrop obscured by clouds. I started climbing again, it was hard, I stumbled again and again. At one point I realised I had taken a wrong turning, I ended up hanging by my fingernails on a sheer cliff face, I was terrified I thought this was the end. I backtracked, i started retracing my steps and then began to climb again, away in the distance i could see the outline of a master (insert jazz master of your choice), I shouted out 'master have you seen the top of the jazz mountain?', the master replied 'dude, I've been looking but I ain't found it yet, don't reckon no one ever has, maybe there is no top to the jazz mountain'. Then i noticed that as I had been climbing, the mountain had changed shape, it looked different to the way it had. The wind carried a voice to my ears - 'this is a world of infinite possibilities, there are no answers there are only questions, study to find humility and practice, practice, practice'.

Anyway to carry this metaphor to a painful conclusion, I'm still in the foothills....

Bill