Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Karma Sutra

Take the "G" harmonica and go down one octave, so your first "F" is on 2
hole inhale second bend. It is easy to see that you need pretty confident
bending technique to arrive at a few of these notes. Proceeding up the scale,
you'll need a 6 hold OB in order to get that "F" at the upper end.

You would use 12th position for two reasons - it gives notes that  have the
ability to bend at different places than in 1st, so you may wish to use
the bends expressively.

The second reason is that, in 12th position, you have the ability in the
lower octave to play a flatted second (or minor 9th), flatted third, flatted
fifth and a flatted sixth. Dominant seventh needs OB on hole 4 - not too
terribly difficult.

What this does is give you all the chromatic notes within one octave and
only one OB. With all these notes available, you can pretty much play the
melody  to any tune - jazz, pop, standard, blues - as all the notes are
achievable. Even  without the OB technique, you get 11 of the 12 chromatic notes.

More advanced players with good control of inhale bending techniques and
only one OB needed can explore more music in this range without having to
deal  with so many OB's or blow bends to pitch.

Even if you do 12th position only in practice, it will strengthen your
inhale bending technique for the position playing you enjoy.

In a message dated 7/8/2009 4:13:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,