Re: [Harp-L] implants or dentures

Implants are the way to go if you can afford it - keep in mind that it is a
 great labor income for the Dentist, but does involve his confidence and
skill in  making sure you are happy with the outcome.

There is a negotiating technique to try with your Dentist. It sometimes
disarms them when you begin to talk to them as if you had the same education
that they did in certain areas - they look at you different and take you
more  seriously.

There was a Dentist named Panke who developed, through his  Panke Institute
seminars and classes, a fee technique that  involved co-discovering with
the patient just how much the patient can  afford to pay. That means that the
Dentist sets his fees based on "what type of  car you drive", in a manner of
speaking. They ask you things like, "What value  would you put on having
solid teeth for the rest of your life" and go for the  upper numbers, offering
payment plans and financing to help swallow the money  pill. It's not too
different than a car salesman trying to figure out what your  comfortable
monthly payment would be and structuring the sale and interest rate  around
this figure.

Since it isn't a fixed price, there is room for you to negotiate as long as
 you understand where the Dentist is coming from and you can talk somewhat
at his  level of understanding in this co-discovery technique. See, most
people take  what Dentists and Doctors say as RULE and won't try a negotiation.

With this in mind, it is worth a try. Also, there are plenty of Dentists
that do implants, so you aren't limited to just one or two choices.

In a message dated 7/8/2009 4:27:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,