Subject: [Harp-L] Lee Oskar Minor Tuned Harp

Not being a diatonic player (yet).....'Ain't No Sunshine' has been one of
my fun pieces to noodle around with on my A Cx-12 chromatic.  And it
definitely sounds 'jazzy'. I got some compliments playing it over guitar  'backing
tracks' at an open mic last spah (with smojoe playing accompaniment) -
although we'd never played it together and were winging it with no rehearsal
(first time I'd played it for an audience).  It wasn't perfect, but sure  was
fun.

Maybe one of these days I'll try it on a diatonic.  I do have a couple  of
LO minor tuned harps put away somewhere :)

Elizabeth

"Message: 4
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 9:12:43 -0400
From: Tom Halchak  <thalchak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

I just received a Lee Oskar minor tuned  harp in the mail yesterday.  It's
a Dm.  I didn't know what to expect,  but I couldn't wait to play it.  I am
admittedly not very strong (yet) in  my music theory.  What a unique and
beautiful sound it makes!  Just  running up and down the holes produces the
equivalent of what would be a very  complex riff on a major tuned diatonic.  I
have only had it for about 12  hours and have only been able to play it for
a half hour or so and have already  found three songs that really fit on the
minor tuning.

Ain't No Sunshine  When She's Gone
Summertime
When Johnnie Comes Marching Home  Again

All these can be played in, what appears to me, as the first  position and
they sound great.  I can play these on a major tuned harp but  just try
Ain't no Sunshine When She's Gone on the 1-5 holes  on a major  tuned harp - it
is full transitions from half step bends to full step bends and  has more
twists and turns than a roller coaster.  It's a neat tune to play  but
sometimes if you don't hit the bends just right in the transitions it can  sound
pretty sloppy (for me at least).  On the minor tuned harp it just  fits.
Sounds beautiful.

It seems to me that the minor tunings would  be great for jazz.  Am I
wrong?
Can anybody offer some suggestions as  to what type or even some songs that
are better played on a minor  tuning?

Thanks.

Tom Halchak

**************Popular laptop deals plus free shipping!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221917659x1201411421/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.media
plex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D2)