Re: [Harp-L] Stevie Wonder - All Blues

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jonathan Metts <prairiedogpr@...> wrote:

> I didn't know Stevie was playing this Mile Davis song in concert. With
> the slow, deep bends, it seems better suited for diatonic, but of course
> he sounds great as always with his chromatic.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e5Q9jT3z9w

Thanks for that Jonathan. I've been waiting on Stevie to release the chromatic jazz album he's claimed to be working on. It's been a couple years now though. Maybe this is a taste? He certainly has been playing alot of harmonica in public lately.
Anyway... as to this particular tune. I like it, though I think he's made it very "Stevie," which I have mixed feelings about. The use of the chromatic for the head though doesn't bother me (coulda been mic'd better maybe?). Not sure I agree with you about the bends. They don't seem all that deep to me on the Kind of Blue recording. Maybe I'm just missing it though. I have heard diatonics play this, and, as another poster pointed out, I think there were some glaring—and I'm gonna guess inescapable—timbre issues.

Anyway... good to Stevie puttin' the harp out there. Give us more, Harmonica Man!!

-Jp