From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of jim.alciere@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2009 5:53 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] major pentatonic

I'm working on the Grateful Dead's China Cat Sunflower. The main chords are
G and F. It's a major penatonic with a flatted seventh (mixolodyian?).
Should I just deal with it in 2nd position on a standard diatonic and learn
how to bend accurately or should I try some fancy harp like a solo or a
Paddy Richter. I can play the melody easily in the middle of the harp, but
it's too high--sounds better on the first 3 holes. There's a tricky part
where the melody goes from F to A to G and I can do it, but the F and the A
are funky.

In my mind I can hear Sonny Terry doing this song, but translating this into
reality is a different story.

Of course the Dead being the Dead, the song modulates to A, then modulates
to E, the back to A, then to G. Good luck with that. Maybe I should get a
half valved harp.

Piano is so much easier.

--
Rainbow Jimmy