[Harp-L] RE: Women Harp/Vocalists

"My vote: Annie Raines, a great harp player AND a great vocalist."

I'm lucky enough to have Annie as my occasional harp teacher and fulltime friend!  I'm thrilled that Robert mentioned her because there are few to none better!  She'll simply blow you away with her harp (Big Walter in a little package) and her sweet melodic and powerful when need-be voice (although husband Paul Rishell does most the singing) and more importantly, she's about the nicest person you'll ever meet!  Even with her hectic schedule she makes time for everyone and has recently formed a harp club in Boston dubbed 'B-HIP' (Boston Harmonica Innovation Project) - we've already had our first harp-centric open mic jam - led by Annie (w/ special guest BBQ Bob!) - and she is 'giving-back' to the Boston harmonica community (and other communities) like crazy!

When I first started out a few years ago; I asked her if a white, jewish boy from a middle-class upbringing could ever learn to play the blues; and she simply pointed at herself - reminding me her maiden name was Cohen - and that she was certainly Anglo - and had the blues from her nose to her toes!  So much for the white vs. black harp-player argument!!

What a great week on Harp-L; first Butterfield and now female harp/singers....is anyone getting any work done this week?!

Barry C.

Blues with a feeling, that's what I've got today!

http://www.myspace.com/gracieblues