[Harp-L] Playing with groups...

???? Here in the last six months or so I've been invited out to play with a couple of different groups.? This was great for me.? It meant that I'd have a chance with people who were more of a group than the usual thrown together thing at jams...and these people were really good.? Each time I'd show up I had them tell me where they wanted me to set up and made it clear that if I did anything that wasn't right, too loud - too soft, played too much, etc. to let me know then and I'd fix it then or if I wasn't up to par, I could leave.? My position was that I was just sitting in, not getting paid, and just happy to be there.? I recently played with a group at a local bar.? There wasn't much room and I had to stand right next to a super reverb that was being used for a p.a. with my amp behind me.? I had a hard time hearing where I was in the mix volume-wise and turned my amp up.? It was hard to hear over that reverb amp.? At the break I walked outside and was angrily informed that I was too loud, playing too much, etc.? I felt like an ass and was amazed that they didn't say anything before then or make a clear signal.? They just stewed through the first set.? It's like someone starts punching you in your head...do you wait for them to get tired of punching you before you tell them to stop or punch them back?? Probably not.? Any tips on hearing yourself better in the mix and getting people you play with to convey how they want you to play beforehand?.... I don't have esp. ?? I want to learn to be better but would rather not play through a whole damned set then get bitched at in front of customers on a sidewalk... I'm too old for that.? I doubt they'll have me out again and I'm fine with that.? Open jams tend to be a slugfest of volume with the guitarists...