Re: [Harp-L] The benefits of playing jaw harp

Marc Vautour writes:

Michelle,

Sonny Terry's dad used to play Jew's harp to relax after a long day in the cotton > fields. Sonny picked it up pretty well.

You can listen to samples of a 1961 album called

'Sonny Terry's New Sound' here:
http://www.smithsonianglobalsound.org/containerdetail.aspx?itemid=597

A tip of the cappuccino,

Marc

Wow, Marc, thanks for that tip! Sonny Terry, no less. And you're right of course, he did pick it up "pretty well." I learned a few things listening to the samples just once. I also liked the spoon-played rhythm backing Sonny up.

It's also cool that you can download the album or individual tunes I-Tunes-style. I'm gonna be scouring that Smithsonian Global Sound site for other nuggets like the one you pointed me at.

Thanks again,

Michelle