[Harp-L] Intro, occasional player, seeking new amp and Portland Waterfront Blues Festival Review (long)

Good day HARP-L,

I may have been on this list years ago, or perhaps just read posts
someplace else.
Regardless, it is good to see a healthy blues harmonica online community.

Portland Waterfront Blues Festival Review -
http://www.waterfrontbluesfest.com/

I recently attended the Waterfront Blues Festival in Portland (July
2-6) and the lack of a harmonica centric band was notably apparent.
This was my first time at this festival and I was duly impressed with
the size and performers.
There were three main stages and a fourth Blues Workshop stage.
I could only attend Thursday and Friday as business called me back to Seattle.

Yes, there WAS a harmonica blow-off (Friday, Saturday) but not a blues
band featuring vocals/harp.
Paul DeLay was notably absent (sadly) and unless he can play from the
grave he isn't going to be playing again anytime soon. That's one of
the great things about recordings.
Paul was local to the Portland area. His playing and singing I have
come to enjoy and admire.

Notable acts -
Lee Ritenour - great show, three piece band, NO harmonica.

Keb'Mo -
I've never seen Keb'Mo before, nor have listened to any of his music,
except VIA the radio..
I have this feeling that his traditional music, possibly alone on
acoustic guitar would be more enjoyable. "Blues Light" IMHO or perhaps
maybe I'm missing something.

Hillstomp - "Raucous Hill Country Blues Stomp - Blues Workshop Stage
All I can say about these guys is wow.
Energy energy energy! Very fun indeed.

Geno Delafose & French Rockin' Boogie - Zydeco
Hey, four chords is enough to have a blast and dance to.
These guys are great.

Sonny Landreth -
My first time seeing Mr. Sonny Landreth.
Great slide technique and an enjoyable show.

Women of the Blues -
Duffy Bishop, Ellen Whyte, LaRhonda Steele, Lady Kat, Janice
Scroggins, Myrtle Brown
Not exactly my cupp'a tea, but great to see these women all onstage at once.

Johnny Winter - ahhhh, sigh. All I can say is that it was G R E A T
to see Mr. Winter perform again.
Introduced as "The Johnny Winter Band", for just over an hour and
including one encore he played some of his classics.
His band, additional guitar, bass and drums (four piece total, and NO
harmonica) played a smokin' opening song, highlighting all their
talents.
After the opening song, Mr. Winter walked on-staged, hobbled,
immediately sat down and was handed a guitar.
He truly looked glad to be there and playing his music.
He thanked the crowd and started with his first tune.
One notable quote from him was, "This is from my first record album",
Boney Moronie (Larry Williams).
Wikipedia shows this song on his eighth album, Saints & Sinners
(1974), so, I'm not really sure what the reference was to. The good
bits was, "record album". heh!
Most of his set he had his eyes closed and didn't move much from one
playing position.
I cannot imagine the type of pain his body must be in
People were moving, shaking those legs and dancing. The amount of
"younger people" in the crowd was good to see.
The show was over almost as quickly as it started.
I think no one in attendance could complain about the set.
Yes, Mr. Winter flubbed a few chords and notes here and there, but
just his presence offset any negative comments that could be made. I
did shoot quite a few tight shots of Mr. Winter, however, these I
cannot publish as it certainly does not show him in a good light. And
besides, I have a photos of him from 20 years ago at Bumbershoot that
show him in much better days.

Dick Waterman, Photographer -
One of my personal highlights on Friday afternoon was the Blues
Photography Workshop by Dick Waterman.
I had no idea what to expect of this hour presentation.
What occurred was story-time along with huge photographs to accompany
the stories.
Not being familiar with his name or work, the amount of images
displayed and his recollections (whether entirely true or embellished)
starting in the mid-sixties and continuing to present-day was indeed
impressive.
His photography displayed included -
Muddy Waters, Bonnie Raitt, Howlin' Wolf, Allen Toussaint, Albert
Collins, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, James Cotton, John Lee Hooker, Chuck
Berry, Buddy Guy & Junior Wells, and many many more.
I have to say that it was an incredible experience, to see these great
musicians, captured in glorious black and white, displayed and talked
of. If you are a photographer and need inspiration, I think Mr.
Waterman may be able to deliver.
If you ever have opportunity to hear him show his work and speak, run,
don't walk, and make sure you're not late. You'll be glad you did.

Occasional Player -
   I've been playing the blues since I was about 15.
I could not afford a guitar so I bought a harmonica, which I pocketed
just about everywhere.
Alone, I would "hear" the music, the blues, the guitar and harp runs,
the bends, tones and lyrics in my head. My own tunes.
   I had a brief stint playing a few clubs on Long Island, NY, in the
mid-seventies but never really "hit it" with a band.
A different life took over and playing clubs became a distant memory.
   Recently, I've been jamming with a three piece (bass, drums and a
great friend on guitar).
We do mostly covers and play just for our own enjoyment.
I have an older Shure Green Bullet (no volume knob) and two 57's.
I used to play exclusively through the Green Bullet but have found
that I get a better sound and tonal quality from the 57.
What I'm lacking is an amp. A tube amp.
The sound I get from the PA (mixer/amp combo and Voice of the Theater
speakers) is pretty good.
This system has a great sound and allows me to turn up, so I can be
heard along with the guitar, bass and drums.
But, the VotT speakers are huge and I don't own them.
For practice I play through a smallish solid state amp, a HI-WATT, Bulldog-10.
It's all right, but, not the sound I really want.

UPDATE:
I just purchased a Fender Champion 600 from Best Buy. $149.00
Also found that Musician's Friend has them for the same price.
What a great sound from a little box.
Can't wait to jam with my guitar buddy when he's back from holiday.
If you've made it this far, thanks for reading.

I Love the Blues, She Heard My Cry - George Duke
- Robert "Lil' Bobby" Cazares