Re: [Harp-L] how much was a marine band when you started?

On Jul 20, 2009, at 1:37 PM, michael rubin wrote: TO SAM BLANCATO

Sam,
I lived in Squirrel Hill in 1981.  I was maybe 12.  Lived on Linden
Lane, went to Linden Elementary and SHady Side Academy middle school.

smo-joe: Linden lane, off Linden Av, overlooking Wilkins. A pool shooter buddy of mine's (Bernie Schwartz) family owned a delicatessen there. You must have had connections to go to SSA, all MY Jewish friends went to Taylor-Allderdice. (I went to Peabody).
Swam against Allderdice. They had the best team in the city.

My Dad ran the Jewish Community Centers.

smo-joe: The YCI on Murray Ave.

There was always the 21 year old guy running around town blowing harmonica. I thought he was the
COOLEST! I remember saying to my Dad, "That's what I want to do when
I grow up!" Hey, maybe that was you!
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com

smo-joe: You would be too young to remember Shadyside. I used to play there with the Gene Ludwig organ trio. George Benson played guitar. I used to shoot pool with his big brother Arthur (schoolboy) Benson. That was at the Fox. Across the street I would sit in with the Harold Betters quintet. That was at the Encore. Harold on bone, I on trumpet.
Harold had a drummer (Biddie Freed). I currently play harp down here in Fla with her son (on B3). Then we would go over to the Gazebo for N.Y. cheesecake and latte.

Ain't it funny how time slips away. smokey-joe