Re: [Harp-L] Tony Glover / Fathers And Sons / Haggis

Harri Haka writes (in part):

...Muddy and Butter smoked on Fathers And Sons, one of the greatest blues
albums ever...

Harri, no argument with respect to Muddy and Butterfield but leave us not forget Jeffrey Carp's contribution on chromatic, especially on "All Aboard." To tell the truth I have always been more taken by Carp's chromatic work on the few songs he contributed to than I have been Butter's work on that album, and I am a ~strong~ Butterfield fan. To my ear Butterfield's work was pretty much spot-on -- as expected -- but I found Carp's chromatic work especially fresh and exciting, and particularly well-suited to the songs. For me, when I think of "Fathers and Sons", I think immediately of "All Aboard," and when I think of that I quickly think of Carp's chromatic lines. Of course, Mud's vocals are the main thang but that rhythm that Carp sets up carries the song really well, IMHO. The duo of Butterfield and Carp is quite synergistic and unique as far as I am aware.

At least that's the way I see it.

I remember looking up Carp to find out what else the obvious chromatic genius had recorded. Unfortunately I found nothing more significant than "Fathers and Sons." Sadly, the big reason why is that Jeffrey died an untimely death. Something about falling off an ocean liner as I recall... Bummer!

Michelle