Re: [Harp-L] Tony Glover

James wrote:
Thanks for the link: I noticed there is no contact number or email address: I wonder how he would feeel that 40+ years after his book, we are still discussing it!

I once wrote Glover an email through the webmaster of a Koerner Ray and Glover website, just to thank him for helping me get a footing in blues harp. He may never have gotten the note, but I never heard back. He owes me nothing.

In the past few years I have really enjoyed the KRG records from the 60's. I'd listened to them back in the day and enjoyed them, wore them out in fact.

When I saw a CD of the first one about 10 years ago I thought, well, that was primitive stuff, probably not very good. But luckily it was at a store that let me listen, and boy was I blown away. That record, and the other two, and the solo records not only stand up, but identify themselves as high points of folkie creativity and virtuosity. As a grownup with grownup ears I am even more amazed and delighted at the music.

Except for Glover's. He was playing very, very basic stuff, not very cleanly.

The great thing about these more recent videos of KRG is that they show just how Glover continued to grow just like the rest of us, and how wonderfully well he played back in the 90's. I'll bet he's even better now. One wishes that he and Koerner would make some more records together.

I saw Spider John Koerner at the Gaslight in 1968 or so. He was just amazing, and he played harp on a rack, very very well. He had this fabulous rack that has haunted me ever since, as he could snap it into place up or down with a simple movment. I've had some ideas on how to accomplish this, but I've never seen another harp rack like that one, and wish I had.