[Harp-L] Mic impedance into a PA

Paul,

If you go into the 1/4" instrument input of a PA board it is an unbalanced hi-z input that bypasses the board's mic pre-amp. I used to do this when i was playing a green bullet through an Alesis Quadraverb GT and it sounded fine. But, in general, I am of the opinion that lo-z PA style mics sound better for playing harp into a PA board.

These days I usually use a lo-z mic like a Shure 545 Ultimate or an EV RE 15 (or sometimes an Audix Fireball V if the material requires less "electric" sound). I use an XLR cord that has an on/off switch. Besides helping control feedback, the nice part of using an on/off switch is you can leave the stage on tunes that don't call for harmonica and easily turn off what otherwise would be an open mic. So, for what it's worth, if i were you, I'd use your 545 SD if it was wired for lo-z. A tight cup on that mic will give all the dirt you want on demand, even through a PA.

Have fun!

FWIW,

JP