Re: [Harp-L] Frank Mc Court - Native New Yorker?

When   I was sitting on the The Detroit News copy desk back in the days
(1970s) when daily circulation was 750,000 (that means each week day) and
850,000 on Sunday -- someboy shouted out to the other members of the copy desk in
general: "Is Joe Smith a native of Detroit?"

And somebody replied (in all seriousness): "No. 'Cause he doesn't live
there anymore!"

If you are a native New Yorker, that means you were born in New York state.
Even if you move away, your place of birth does not change.

Native is where you are born not simply another term for resident or
hometown.

Frank McCourt was NEVER "a Native Irishman - Limerick Man" because, hard as
it is to accept, a person only has one place of birth.

He spent much time is Limerick (his miserable poor Catholic childhood) he
was never born there. He was an American citizen by birth for his entire
life.

Hope this clears up matters.

By the way, the same thing happened to my father-in-law was born in Detroit
and returned to the old country -- returning on the last boat that left for
the U.S. circa WWII.

Phil