Subject: [Harp-L] Re: New Era of SPAH conventions

Phil writes:

"I have no idea why SPAH never met on the East Coast."

but that WAS the big question Mike raised, wasn't it?

my post back to him was pretty much in synch with most of your reasons as
to why SPAH has been in the mid-west for most of its lifespan...but given
your  mentioning the original reason for its founding 47 years ago in Detroit
(and  some of those people still residing there)....my next questions would
be: just  how many of the founders are still left in Michigan, do they still
attend SPAH,  or have most retired South or West where it's warmer and it
might be just as  difficult for them to get to a SPAH as it is for a lot of
us?

Regardless, the main reason seems to be what goes into the planning and
having a strong club willing and able to handle putting on a SPAH. I already
know from some of the answers Tom Stryker has given in past posts (here and
on  Slidemeister), just how difficult is the job of the hosting club. I very
much  doubt I'D want to take it on and so I admire and give all kudos to
those who do, as well as to the volunteers who give of their own time  at
SPAH. While I could volunteer, I'd much rather be a participant than  spend my
time at SPAH 'working'. I go there to absorb the music and learn as  much as
I can..it's what I'm paying for, after all, but more than that it's  a way
to decompress and finally be among fellow musicians/friends after  having
been away from harmonica playing for over 30 years. It's 'my' time, and  I'm
making up for many lost years.

I can manage to afford to keep going to SPAH unlike some other people and
will keep doing so as long as I'm able, but I can surely empathize with
those  finding it difficult. My main problem is that I hate to fly for various
reasons  (my last flight home from St. Louis was unbelievably horrible
having being bumped twice and dealing with luggage with use of only one arm
while in a high level of pain (it took 11 hours to get home to NY from  St.
Louis to give you a rough idea)....so just once it'd be pure pleasure  to be
driven to a SPAH or to take an easy train trip there.

I don't think any East Coast people are complaining that much, really...or
asking for the Moon after all these years, merely hoping that one 'halfway'
 state we can all access somewhat more easily be considered at some point,
instead of it always being either the Mid-West or West where we have no
choice  but to fly.  I don't expect New York or New Jersey to be chosen for
reasons already stated as well as the high tolls  involved with getting to
either (the tolls on the bridges and  tunnels went up again last weekend...we
actually paid $11 to cross one  of our many bridges, so it probably cost
roughly $50 in tolls alone to get  home to LI from Maryland..not for the faint
of heart ;).

I think Mick Zaklan's being understanding and fair when he writes:

"As a Midwesterner; I can't complain because, with the exception of the
Dallas
convention, I've always been between 2-6 hours by car away from a  SPAH
convention.  It usually only costs me a tank or two of gasoline to  arrive
and depart from the location.
I'm looking forward to  seeing a bunch of new players that haven't
attended the convention before  because of distance." (snipped)

All that I'd add to that comment is that I don't believe the distance HAS
kept a lot of East Coast people away (or anyone else for that  matter)...but
it has made it extra difficult and costly to  get to SPAH every year when
one has to add on a R/T airfare. If I don't  have a ride to the airport and
need to call for a taxi to LaGuardia or JFK  it's about another $100 added
on. Each way. Plus 'suggested'  gratuity.<G>

Elizabeth

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585106x1201462830/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
=JulystepsfooterNO115)