Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Re: New Era of SPAH conventions

On Jul 25, 2009, at 6:19 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

Phil writes:

"I have no idea why SPAH never met on the East Coast."

a. I don't think they wanted to conflict with the New Jersey group.
b. The hierarchy (at the time) were ALL from Mich. (until the 'Frost' came along)

but that WAS the big question Mike raised, wasn't it?

my post back to him was pretty much in synch with most of your reasons as
to why SPAH has been in the mid-west for most of its lifespan...but given
your mentioning the original reason for its founding 47 years ago in Detroit
(and some of those people still residing there)....my next questions would
be: just how many of the founders are still left in Michigan, do they still
attend SPAH, or have most retired South or West where it's warmer and it
might be just as difficult for them to get to a SPAH as it is for a lot of
us?

Good question. not only the founders, but also members. In 18 years, I have seen an attrition rate of 37-38 just on, shall we say, ceasing to function.

Regardless, the main reason seems to be what goes into the planning and
having a strong club willing and able to handle putting on a SPAH.

Yeah, what ever happened to the 'Windy City' ?

I already
know from some of the answers Tom Stryker has given in past posts (here and
on Slidemeister), just how difficult is the job of the hosting club.

And also Doug Tate.

I very much doubt I'D want to take it on and so I admire and give all kudos to
those who do, as well as to the volunteers who give of their own time at
SPAH. While I could volunteer, I'd much rather be a participant than spend my
time at SPAH 'working'. I go there to absorb the music and learn as much as
I can..it's what I'm paying for, after all, but more than that it's a way
to decompress and finally be among fellow musicians/friends after having
been away from harmonica playing for over 30 years. It's 'my' time, and I'm
making up for many lost years.

I once volunteered to be part of a negotiating team and was told flatly that there already WAS a negotiating team. It was the prez., v. prez., 2nd v. prez., executive v. prez., secretary, and treas. Also, I don't think I impressed them much as I was too direct, too blunt. What may have clinched it was the now famous 'ThA Guy' incident of Memphis 94. Grabbing someone by the lapels and forcefully pushing them into their dressing room must have scared someone.

I can manage to afford to keep going to SPAH unlike some other people and
will keep doing so as long as I'm able, but I can surely empathize with
those finding it difficult.

I'm only finding it difficult this year (so far).

My main problem is that I hate to fly for various
reasons (my last flight home from St. Louis was unbelievably horrible
having being bumped twice and dealing with luggage with use of only one arm
while in a high level of pain (it took 11 hours to get home to NY from St.
Louis to give you a rough idea)....so just once it'd be pure pleasure to be
driven to a SPAH or to take an easy train trip there.

My problem is my problem and not spah's. My main problem this time is the fact that I would have to fly: Ft. Myers to Houston to Denver to Sacramento. Thets'a total of 6 takeoffs and 6 landings. As a PPL, I gotta tell you this is 12 times in the danger zone. And all for a measely $485.oo

I don't think any East Coast people are complaining that much, really...or
asking for the Moon after all these years, merely hoping that one 'halfway'
state we can all access somewhat more easily be considered at some point,
instead of it always being either the Mid-West or West where we have no
choice but to fly. I don't expect New York or New Jersey to be chosen for
reasons already stated as well as the high tolls involved with getting to
either (the tolls on the bridges and tunnels went up again last weekend...we
actually paid $11 to cross one of our many bridges, so it probably cost
roughly $50 in tolls alone to get home to LI from Maryland..not for the faint
of heart ;).

I (personally) would like to have one IN a city. Where you could walk around (like Memphis was). But the prices IN these cities is UNREAL, so I can understand. I mean, I can't imagine staying at the Adams Mark just for the quaintness of being in down town St. Louie. lol. But I really hate being captive IN the motel. This last Milwaukee & St. Louis were nice. At least there were places to stroll and break the scenery.

I think Mick Zaklan's being understanding and fair when he writes:

"As a Midwesterner; I can't complain because, with the exception of the
Dallas
convention, I've always been between 2-6 hours by car away from a SPAH
convention. It usually only costs me a tank or two of gasoline to arrive
and depart from the location.
I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of new players that haven't
attended the convention before because of distance." (snipped)

I have ALWAYS felt sorry for the west coasties. There is a humongous amount of talent out there and we don't often get the benefit of their presence. It's not that I'm tired of the same faces, I just like to hear new talent. Some people play every year. Year after year...after year. I would like to hear new people.

All that I'd add to that comment is that I don't believe the distance HAS
kept a lot of East Coast people away (or anyone else for that matter)...but
it has made it extra difficult and costly to get to SPAH every year when
one has to add on a R/T airfare. If I don't have a ride to the airport and
need to call for a taxi to LaGuardia or JFK it's about another $100 added
on. Each way. Plus 'suggested' gratuity.<G>

'Suggested' gratuity. That's rich. Scale is 15%. I have never known you to leave anything less than 20-25%. You are very very sweet to the wait staff. I mean who leaves a chambermaid 40 bucks?

Elizabeth

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585106x1201462830/aol? redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx? sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
=JulystepsfooterNO115)