[Harp-L] Rock Harmonica Keys

I know this isn't a YouTube yet, but here's some basic advice I will cover that can be applied today.  I know some of this will probably be confusing, but I'll explain in depth in the video(s).

1. Phrasing - stop thinking in terms of riffs and start thinking in terms of rhythms (stop listening to blues and harmonica!)
2. You can use your blues scale, but the Mixolydian and Dorian modes will get you more mileage (2nd and 3rd pos.)
3. Pentatonics are your friend
4. A lot of rock is diatonic in its chord progressions, meaning you don't have to follow chord changes a lot of the time
5. Build your solos using melody and scale patterns

Obviously I'll elaborate on all of these, but those are the five principles that cover "enough" of the topic.

Mike Fugazzi
Vocals/Harmonica
"NiteRail"
Press Kit (Brand New!)

Video

"There's no way I'm going to sound like Charley Patton, no matter how much time or energy I put into it. I come from a different place. But I think everybody can get to the truth. It's just going to be a different truth."
- Derek Trucks

"Music should be healing; music should uplift the soul;music should inspire. There is no better way of getting closer to God,of rising higher towards the spirit, of attaining spiritual perfection than music, if only it is rightly understood."
-Hazrat Inayat Khan

"This year I will be more thoughtful of my fellow man, exert more effort in each of my endeavors professionally as well as personally. Take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. In this coming year I will seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me. I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can."
-Duane Allman