Re: [Harp-L] Jazz Jams at SPAH 2009 - and not just jazz

In a message dated 6/3/2009 2:31:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
leone@xxxxxxxx writes:

On Jun  3, 2009, at 1:56 PM, IcemanLE@xxxxxxx wrote:

> It's normal for  different people to have different memories of an
> event  -

Especially if we are talking about DIFFERENT events...which we  are.

> My memory of the Jazz Club contradicts  Smo-Jo's.

No, they don't. Your recollections are about YOUR events, and  mine
are about MINE. Take Denver 01. There were only 4 people who  played
on that one. Randy, Rob, Mike (Turk) Mike (Polesky). I don't  recall
anyone else taking a shot at it. And there were a lot of  other good
players there. The lighting was Wrigley Field, the  atmosphere was
conference hall, the acoustics were  echoey.

oops, my mistake. I was referring to Golden Age, you were referring to
Diamond Age. Sorry.

You may be talking about 99. Unfortunately I wasn't there.  That's the
one that included Toots. I DO have an audio of the  event.
I'm referring to 97, 98, and 99.

> Acoustics were good,volume was under control, lighting  was tempered
> (Bob Williams wanted to give the
>   flavor of a Jazz Club), attendees knew what was going on,
>  attendance was
> good,  multiple mics let three harmonica players  on stage at the
> same time,
> which lead  to a lot of  interesting interplay,

That's the way it SHOULD be.

> and  Randy had a solid handle on  controlling some of the egos. It
> did run concurrent with other events,
> but the  idea was  to have a World Class experience in which it was
>  impossible
> to attend  everything and there was a lot to choose  from. Beginners
> were
> intimidated, as it  was a  much more professional situation.
> However, it gave
>  those with experience a  chance to really play with excellent  acoustic
> musicians.
>
> At the time, SPAH was moving in a  different direction than Buckeye,
> which
> was more geared  towards the beginner.

Let's talk about that statement. So, what's wrong  with gearing an
event that caters to the 'bread & butter' (so to  speak) of the
harmonica brother/sisterhood?

. The 82.5 % who  MAKE spah, Buckeye, GSHC, VHC, et al. can actually
GET something  useable out of spah, and to whom spah SHOULD represent.
Look, there  are 82.5 % of attendees and their spouses or other
significants, who  are average blokes. THEN there are 8.75% whom are
good enough to do  the shows. That leaves 8.75% who are in limbo. Not
quite good enough  to do a show slot, but also a little too high up
the food chain to  sit there and listen to players and seminar
instructors who aren't  any better than they are.

> The idea was that, between the  two
> events.

> both beginner and more advanced players would  find exactly what they
> needed.

What you're saying is elitist.  It smacks of "Hey, if you're a
beginner, go to Buckeye, we're not  interested, but if you're
advanced, come to spah".
(koff), uh, interpretation may be in the mind of the reader. We wanted SPAH
 to be a different experience than Buckeye. SPAH was headed into a more
professional direction than Buckeye, which was more user friendly. Nothing
wrong  with that. To say ""Hey, if you're a beginner, go to Buckeye, we're not
interested, but if you're advanced, come to spah" sounds to my ears like a
bit of "spin doctoring" harkening back to the ol' Tate/Iceman exchanges. In
 all fairness, I used to be a lot more of an a**hole back then. The problem
 with having an "a**holectamy" is that people tend to hold onto the old
image  longer than is necessary. (I dug my own pit. I accept the responsibility
and am  not angered by responses like this - more amused than anything
else).

Ok, so  the fact that I played Buckeye 03,
05, 07, (and other years) makes  me a beginner.
See, another example of spin doctoring, throwing a negative  curve on a
posting that never stated that those that play at  Buckeye are beginners.

Now I  understand. I'm
one of the 8.75% in limbo.

> Randy was  instrumental in creating the Jazz Club

And I GAVE him the credit. Now I  can't say anything about Bob as I
had no interaction with him, but  on several occasions, I made
suggestions to the rest of the  establishment (Mitchell, Dobson,
Harris, etc), and it fell on deaf  ears. Ya know why? No respect.
Still harboring feelings of resentment, perhaps?

> and we were behind his
> ideas to bring in the  professional musicians and PA, piano, etc.
> Perhaps  Randy
>  has his own recollection of the Jazz Club to  offer.
>
> Lame it was not, in my opinion.

My use of the  word lame was in reference to DENVER 01 and Denver  06.

Once again, my mistake. Sorry. Thought you were talking pre Tate
conventions.

>  So, we leave the "viewer to determine which, if any, is the  truth."

Doesn't scare me at all..................smo-joe  Sosa
OK, Fearless Joe. You're the Man! :>)

**************We found the real âHotel Californiaâ and the âSeinfeldâ
cntnew00000007)