To: "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 8:00 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Customized Reeds

I have often seen requests on this list and other harp related lists)asking about sources for individual reeds, rather than for replacementreedplates (which are available from the major manufacturers).
In your opinion, is there a sufficient potential market to make it worthwhile (as in, possible to recoup at least the investment) trying to set up a small business which specializes in selling reeds? I keep hoping someone (other than ME!) will attempt this, but so far, no one has tried it. I know that some people have made their own reed-making machinery, so that is possible (although not commercially viable in extremely small quantities).
There are two potential sources of reeds: the major manufacturers and customized reeds. I know Hohner will sell reeds at a reasonable price (about $2.50 each?). Seydel will sell a complete set of reeds for specific models but the price is only somewhat reduced from the price of a set of reedplates. To the best of my knowledge (which is limited at best), no other manufacturer will sell individual reeds. I am unaware of any source(s) for customized reeds.
There are also possibly different reed types: stock reeds from amajor manufacturer, reed "blanks" (which would be rough approximations in terms of length/width/thickness and requirework by the customer, and customized reeds which would be tunedand set up for the customer before shipping. These last two options could also include a variety of reed materials such as reed brass, stainless steel, phosphor bronze, etc. This option could require having the machinery to make the reeds as well as the facilities to customizethem. (And I haven't forgotten how much TIME goes into that process.)
I've done reed replacement for some time on my own harps (and alsofor some members of my harmonica club). I can substitute reeds thatare identical, or modify reeds that are not close to fit as needed and itworks. However, it is much more time consuming than having theproper size reed to use as a replacement. It's frustrating to have aharp set up the way I want to play it, and then blow out a reed--having no readily available source for a replacement reed except toscavenge from an old harp. (If one is NOT available, I have to eitherbuy a set of reedplates or buy another harp--and then redo all my work on all the reeds.) I actually have just a few more harps than two complete sets, one Seydel and the other Lee Oskar. Needless to say, the reeds between Seydel and Lee Oskar are not one-for-one replacements.
I do realize that there is an enormous number of reeds that would have to be stocked, even for one manufacturer. However, I think (based onmy own playing experience, but I have no way to confirm this) that not every reed in every model of harp has the same failure rate, i.e. thereeds that most often fail are a small subset of the total reeds. Thereeds for every possible model also would not necessarily have to be kept on hand; just having replacement reeds for the most often blownout reeds for a few models for every major manufacturer at areasonable cost with a quick turnaround would seem like somethingthat would be desirable (BUT possibly NOT supported financially) by the harp community. The overall inventory of every model could be built slowly over time. Customers would include (potentially) customizers as well as average Crazy Bobs (like me) who replace their own reeds or would like to experiment with various tunings and reed profiles andmaterials without having to buy complete harps or sets of harps.
Another option would be to sell a complete customer-specified customset of reeds at a reduced price (compared to the cost of the individual reeds).
What would you consider to be a "reasonable" price for:(1) Reed "blanks" (just length/width/thickness with no work done on it).(2) Reeds from a manufacturer.(3) Customized reeds made of a designated material.(4) A customized (made to order) set of reeds in your choice of material.
As an example, I'd like to get individual Seydel stainless steel reeds toexperiment with as replacements for brass reeds, without having to buy a complete set (which, so far, don't seem to be available). I don't mind paying a premium per reed, but I don't want to have to buy 19 reeds I don't want in order to get the one reed I DO want.
As one of my daughters tells her kids, "W-a-a-a-h, it sucks to be you."
TIA for your consideration and thoughts,Crazy Bob