Re: [Harp-L] Thoughts on SPAH jazz jam

My 2 cents on the SPAH jazz jams...

I've only been fortunate enough to attend the last two conventions. Steve Watne told me about SPAH back in 1980 and I finally got around to joining in 2007 -- my procrastination cost me an awful lot of years of being in the dark. Don't be like me if you haven't already joined the fun, do it now!

The jazz jams the last two years have been fantastic and I consider them to be the height of my SPAH experience so far. Not because I played well -- I did not. Not because the sound system in the noisy bars was excellent, it was far from it in both cases. However, there were many remarkable things that made these events stand out for me.

These jams were very inclusive: no one that I'm aware of was discouraged from participating (even _I_ was permitted to play ;-)). You just sat in the designated area if you wanted to solo on the current tune. No need to sign up in advance. No requirements on what sort of a harmonica you wanted to use -- there happened to be more slides than diatonics, but I don't believe there was any bias whatsoever.

Ringmaster Randy was always a gentleman -- he does a great job. Thank you Randy!!!

Intimidating? Well, the only thing intimidating was that top players were not excluded ;-). I had to share the stage with the likes of Howard Levy, P.T. Gazell, Brendan Power, William Gallison, Ron Kalina, Rob Papparozi, Chris Bauer, Randy Singer and on and on and on.... way too many to mention.

This is a cross-generational event. From Julian Davis to Pete Blasberg and all ages in between. It's fascinating to watch and listen to everyone giving it their best shot. I learn from everyone at these events and hopefully there's at least one or two folks who benefit from my presence as well.

The vibe was exciting -- lots of energy, most everyone seemed delighted to be there. More importantly, there was a lot of real and sometimes challenging, sometimes beautiful music being made, improvised on the spot. These jams were a delight from beginning to end (and they always seemed to end too soon).

My advice for newbees:

All that is required is to step up to the plate and give it a shot -- no one will put you down. Just remember the context -- it is a jazz jam and if you don't know anything about jazz or how to play it, perhaps it's more appropriate to start out as a spectator only.

Be nice to the band. They sometimes have to play the same tune for 15 minutes at a stretch to accommodate all the soloists. It is a long night for them. Thank them in every way you can.

I expect this will be another great year for the jazz jams in Sacramento. For starters, I believe everyone playing at the west coast jazz harmonica summit will be there (www.jazzharmonicasummit.com), plus so many more....

The jazz jams are a great reason to attend the convention!

- Slim.

www.slidemanslim.com