Re: [Harp-L] was american chestnut, now steel

Somebody once said that William Shakespeare didn't really write all those plays; it was another man with the same name.
RD

>>> David Payne <dmatthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 12/06/09 5:37 PM >>>

As long as it rests in the hands of random listeners, there's nothing to talk about. 9/10 of the people on earth couldn't tell the difference between someone blowing a blade of grass held between their thumbs and someone passing gas. I will totally give you that. The average listener can not prove anything.
I don't have a grand to bet, but I'd be willing to bet something else that we might be able to work out. What I would ask is that I get to pick one ear that I trust. I would also like that the test be not specifically about comb material, but comb construction as well, i.e. plastic recessed reedplate against tin sandwich wood.
I would be willing, upon possibly losing this bet, be willing to shine your shoes, which would be mailed to me and subsqently shined, or upon winning this bet, I would mail my boots. which would thus be shined. That, I figure, would be about $1,000 worth of symbolism and that's about the only way I can come up with a grand worth of symbolism to back a bet. I just want to be able to pick the ear. If the person to whom the ear is attached does not agree to do it, I assume I will look like a jackass, but I've a theory that has nothing to do with resonance in the hole chambers, personally, I'd like to see how it plays out.  I just need to pick the ear, if it's random ears, I think you're totally safe.

If the bet could change  from "a listener can tell a difference" to "there is a difference" there's something else I've in mind that I've kept quiet about for a couple of years.

Dave

Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com